Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dominican Salons: El Santuario de las Mujeres

     Salons: here they are like a woman's second home. Even back in the states, Dominican women make it a necessity to go to the salon weekly. When you begin living here, you will notice that women can go as much as two to four times a week. Due to the climate, women will sweat more than usual causing hair to "poof" up, frizz, or just become plain flat. They like to keep they're hair in order, not only for their social image or confidence but for their jobs too. As mentioned before, you have to look decent in the work place. It is very important.
     I have black, curly, long, and thick hair. In the states, I tend to go to the salon every one to two weeks because I have so much hair that I can not tame the madness myself! It usually lasts me that long as well. My routine consists of a wash, hair rollers, hair dryer, and a blow out. This costs me about US$30. I've had to adjust to this climate by not going under the dryer and just going straight to the blowout. So far I've gone to the salon twice and I try to make my hair last as long as possible but it is quite difficult. When I'm not sweating during the day, I sweat at night. I live with someone, who God Bless her soul, sweats excessively (naturally) and her hair doesn't hold up. She ended up cutting her hair because it was just too much to handle but, she does go to the salon often.
     In the states, you don't have to bring your own hair products to the salon but here you do. In fact, most places charge you extra if you don't bring your own products, unless there is a special for that day/month. For example, the salon I went to in the capital charged me RD$300 (about US$8) to wash my hair and blow it out. Luckily there was a special that day because I would've had to pay an extra RD$200 for not bringing my products. A haircut was RD$500 (about US$12). Compared to where I live, the cost to go to the salon is much more cheaper here. I still like to keep in mind that I have to save as much money as possible though.
     In Santiago, the salons are even more cheaper (well at least in the poor to middle class areas). Right now I am located near the Monumento de Santiago. The salon near the house will charge RD$300 if you go in without products and I believe they may even lower the cost by RD$50-RD$100 if you bring your own products. To do a mani-pedi, it costs RD$100 which is a great bargain! US$3! A manicure in the capital is about RD$500 (US$13). *Also, most salons don't recommend to go under the hair dryer with hair rollers because you will end up sweating out the volume the hair has but, it is still very very common. If you still insist to go under the hair dryer, there is no difference in the price. Blowing out your wet hair and blowing out dry hair costs the same.
     Tipping anywhere in the country is not mandatory but you should do it. You don't have to but it's good to tip everyone who has touched your hair at least RD$50. You can give them any amount you want really. I made a mistake the first time I went to the salon here. I ended up giving the woman who blow-dried my hair RD$200, which comes to about US$5. When I told a family member, they were shocked and told me that that was too much. They said I should've given her RD$50 but definitely not RD$200. Of course, the woman didn't even say that that was too much and left with the tip. My friend said that she must've been the most happiest woman with a tip like that. Turns out that once I stepped out of the salon, my hair poofed up in a matter of 3 seconds. It wasn't worth it. Well, I learned my lesson. I don't know what I was thinking but hey, you learn by making mistakes. But please do not make this mistake in any situation!
     Apart from seeing women go to the salon, you will see them come out in what we call "tubis" (pronunciation: to-be (singular) to-bees (plural)). You can even see them on their way to work in tubis. It's kind of like a headwrap to keep the hair straight. This is the best way, I am telling you. I have been doing this since I was a child. It is a little difficult to learn at first but after a while you get the hang of it. Right after you blow-dry your hair, put it in a tubi using "pinchos"(pin-chos) or you can ask the woman who did your hair to do it. "Pinchos" are hair pins. All you are really doing is wrapping your hair around your head as many times that your hair will allow and putting hair pins to hold it up. After, put a "redecilla" (re-de-si-ja) on your head and remove the pinchos so that they don't leave a mark on the hair. If you leave the pinchos in, when you let your hair go it will be wavy. A "redecilla" is  like a fishnet hat or sometimes it comes in a bandana form. It is very cheap here. In the capital I paid RD$55 (US$1.40) and I am sure that if you come to other parts of the country you can find even cheaper. 
Nice Straight Dominican Hair
http://www.bestmiamihairsalons.com/dominican-perms-for-thin-thick-and-curly-hair/
Dominican Hair
http://curlychic.com/black-salons-competion-against-dominican-hair-salons/
How To: Tubi con pinchos
http://www.ellasvirtual.com/history/2008/05/23/columna/belleza.htm
Redecilla
http://www.acuarelatv.net/2010/06/redecillas.html


ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT ME
@ mydominicanjourney@gmail.com
or comment below : D
I'm here to help!

2 comments:

  1. I am happy that I found your post while searching for informative posts. It is really informative and quality of the content is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete