Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gum: Will it Last Here? + Chiclet

     Although I know this is not an important topic, I would like to begin posting things that are rather simple before I start digging deep into the complex. Gum has always been an issue for me even before this trip. Every time I bring gum from the states, I open it here and it is melted and deformed from the intense heat. I've tried various methods such as putting the gum in the refrigerator but that did not work. Two things happened with this. Either the gum melted in the refrigerator because the power went out or the gum became too hard and lost its flexibility. I have to accept that if I want my gum to last I must buy it here. While shopping for things at my local supermarket (back home), I noticed that now some if not all gums come in cup holders and the pieces are rectangle shape. My personal favorite is "5 Gum", the blue one. I bought a 3 pack of stick gums and then I decided to buy the cup holder. I can now say that the ones in the cup holder are the best gums if you are going to bring your favorite gum in this country. *By the way, I have not seen gum come in cup holders in this country yet.* They last longer and are convenient for travel. I wish I could've taken a picture of the stick gum that melted but I ended up having to throw out the whole pack. Also note that perhaps your favorite gum might not be in this country for example, 5 Gum. You will most likely see Trident here.
     A fun culture fact is that the national and probably most well known gum in this country is called Chiclet.  When I was younger and traveled here that was the gum I always asked for and it was always available. These rectangular shaped white/green gums came in a small package, a package that only fit two pieces. My brothers and I used to joke around and put the pieces in front of our teeth as if we had buck teeth or rabbit teeth. In English you pronounce the word: chick-let but in Spanish you pronounce it like: chee-kle. It sort of has an accent when you say it. "Chicle" is also the word for gum in Spanish so you can say, "Dame un chicle."(Give me a piece of gum.) People will understand it as you want a piece of gum or you want "Chicle", the company name of the gum. They are extremely cheap. I believe the last time I paid 5 pesos for a "Chicle".
     Be aware that times are changing and this country, like many others, is exchanging the old with the new. Perhaps you may see more modern gum than traditional gum like "Chiclet"when you get here.
Sticks of 5 Gum
Sodahead.com

5 Gum Tablet Cup Holder
tumblr.com
5 Gum from Cup Holder
Chiclets Gum
http://www.cuandoerachamo.com/chiclets-adams-los-chicles-de-toda-la-vida
Chiclets Gum - Small Pack
http://www.cuandoerachamo.com/chiclets-adams-los-chicles-de-toda-la-vida


ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT ME
@ mydominicanjourney@gmail.com
or comment below : D
I'm here to help!

2 comments:

  1. the pack with 2 chicklet what size is the box

    ReplyDelete