Friday, July 6, 2012

How to Become a Citizen of the Dominican Republic - For Children of Dominican Parents Part 2

The day has come to get my cedula and surprisingly enough, I didn’t. I was kind of sad because I already had plans to start putting my cedula to good use like opening a bank account. We got to Plaza Naco where I went about three days ago. I got a copy of my birth certificate and then they sent me to meet with someone to verify that my details were correct. Then, they sent me to the back of the offices where I took my picture, did my fingerprints, and put my signature down. *Note: Back in the day when a Dominican went to get their cedula, women had to pull their hair back, wear barely any makeup, and take off their earrings. Not to mention you weren’t allowed to smile.
Hearing these things about how the process was, I went prepared with a hair clip and hoped that they would let me smile and keep my earrings on. It went alright. I smiled very little because the guy said not too much, I had to take off my earrings and, I had to put my hair behind my ears. Also, if you want to add your blood type to your cedula you have to bring proof. I didn’t know that they would ask for this information but I had my American Red Cross card from when I donated blood about three years ago and they took a copy of it.
          Well, when I returned to the lady who assisted me, she handed me my birth certificate and told me that I would not be able to get my cedula today. She says that in about 45 days I could return. Apparently they ran out of “plastic” or something like that to make the actual cedula. I asked her if there was another way to speed up the process and she said if I knew a judge, he could submit my papers and something might happen. Well as it turns out, I don’t know a judge here. I’m just going to wait patiently and call them everyday until my cedula is ready. I think they say 45 days as the maximum because they just want to be covered. We will see!
Dominican Cedula Dog lol
Click here for picture link


Click here for "How to Become a Citizen of the Dominican Republic - Part 1"



ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT ME
@ mydominicanjourney@gmail.com
or comment below : D
I'm here to help!

1 comment:

  1. I got my cedula!!! I called and they took my picture and within 2 weeks and a half I went and picked it up :) (at the end of JULY)

    ReplyDelete