Thursday, August 29, 2013

First Semester at UNIBE (Spanish Program)

     Classes at UNIBE. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into first because I was well aware that classes were going to be in Spanish and second, it was a totally different country assuming education methods weren't the same in the United States.
*NOTE: I ended up buying all of my books but, during the semester I found a free pdf file online -_- Make sure you check online so you don't have to spend money on a book that you might only use for one semester. ALSO REMEMBER THIS IS FOR THE SPANISH PROGRAM, TEACHERS ARE DIFFERENT!
Classes:
Biologia I
    • Teacher : My teacher was nice/alright. Her method of teaching is you come to class prepared to discuss the current topic you are learning about. What she does is take the attendance list and when your name is up she asks you a question. Let's just say it's better to be prepared so you don't get embarrassed in front of everyone and get on her good side. Her tests are easy if you study hard enough. Reading your textbook and taking notes of what she says is very important. She rarely reads from the book in class, she's kind of all over the place (we jump topics a lot). To get extra points at the end of the semester, you should do what she calls "palabras claves" so that if you get an 88 she could give you those 2 extra points to get an 90 (A).
    • Units: Characteristics and Organization of Life, Bioenergetics and Metabolism, Cellular Reproduction: Mitosis and Meiosis, etc.
    • Week: You have one 2 hour class and 1, 1 hour class, plus lab which is about 3 hours.
    • Book:
With the book comes a CD.
Chemistry I
    • Teacher: The teacher was good. He didn't talk much, he mainly wrote everything on the board. Everything you need to know are in his power points which he uploads. I didn't need to use a textbook, his power points were sufficient.
Math 1
  • I'm pretty good at math so I did well. The teacher gives you a weekly packet and from there is where she gets her quizes and tests.
Orientation
  • I was really happy we had this class because each week we talked about something different pertaining to the university and what to expect in future semesters. We talked about USMLE, school rules, clubs, etc. My teacher was very informed and although a little strict, was very helpful. :) No book needed.
Tennis
  • You have to take a physical class or a culture class so I signed up for tennis on Saturdays. UNIBE doesn't have official courts but in the parking lot of the Engineering building there's a court painted. Tennis is on Saturdays. Some of my friends took Personal Defense and guitar :) So it's up to you. Try to get to sign ups early, spots fill up and you might not be able to get what you want.
Spanish I
  • Spanish was a little difficult for me the first semester, nonetheless I learned a lot and was introduced to cool books and learned new vocabulary.
Drafting Workshop
  • Easy class where the entire semester is based upon one final paper. You write about anything you want and each class the teacher gives you tips on public speaking and writing.
P.S. Found this draft and thought I should post it up.

So far I've taken:

2nd Semester:

  • Cellular and Molecular Biology
  • Spanish II
  • Physics I
  • Math II
  • Chem II
  • Dominican History
  • Portugues I
  • Philosophy of Science
3rd Semester:

  • Environmental Science - really easy and got to visit cool places around the country
  • Seminar on Leadership and Entrepreneurship - did a final project which can be added to your resume :)
  • Physics II - lot of fun working with circuits, electricity, batteries, etc.
  • Organic Chemistry - lot of fun working with reactions and functional groups
  • Universal History - once a week and homework was the midterm and final
  • Computer Class - super easy, group presentations on a weekly basis and mini review before midterm and final
  • Photography as an elective - fun :)
  • Medical Sociology - learned a lot about the medical world in this country and the population
And now, I will be going into the 4rth semester! Intro to Anatomy here we come!

ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT ME
@mydominicanjourney@gmail.com
or comment below : D
I'm here to help!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle ,
    My name is angel Soren and I recently found your web page about your experience at unibe. I'm taking premed prerequisites and so far they have been extremely difficult. I go to a state school specialized in science . I've heard these courses are meant to
    Weed out students in the states because there are too many medical school applicants. Are they as hard as unibe? Did you ever take premed at an American university? How do they Compare ?

    Good luck in your classes!

    ReplyDelete