Sunday, August 5, 2012

UNIBE - Admission Requirements In Detail (English Version)

     I took a little time off to relax and visit some cool places around the country but now i'm back and running! I'm going to be doing a series of posts dedicated to UNIBE (Universidad Iberoamerica, Dominican Republic) from the most simple things such as admission requirements to how the admissions exam went and when I get accepted, what the procedure is like. I applied into the Spanish program of Medicine at UNIBE. Before I was thinking to enter into the English but the Spanish program was the best method to handle my situation. Here are the requirements for applying to the English Medical Program at UNIBE:

1) UNIBE Application for Admission Form (printable version available on our website): This can be found on this web link => CLICK HERE It is the first PDF.
2) Consent for Release of Academic Information Form (printable version available on our website): This form can also be found on the link given for number 1 or you can CLICK HERE. The form is under the PDF document named "Student Request Form".
3) Four (4) photos (2"x2"): you can take these pictures practically anywhere passport pictures are taken because that is what they really are, passport pictures. The cheapest place I could find to take these pictures was at Costco. I believe they were US$5 compared to Walgreens, US$11.
4) ORIGINAL Birth Certificate notarized by the Department of State/APOSTILLE in the Country of Origin: I live in New Jersey and looked at this page for reference (cover letter, costs, etc.) CLICK HERE If you live in a different state I suggest you follow your state's procedure! Also, please do not send your documents to the apostille without a tracking number, please do not! I beg of you! Read the 3rd and 4rth paragraph on my past post about my experience with the Apostille! CLICK HERE It will save you a lot of time and you won't have to worry as much! Do not hesitate to email the Apostille or call them for any reason! Lastly, have the document stamped by a Notary Public and make copies of everything you send to them!
5) Photocopy of Passport notarized by the Department of State/APOSTILLE in the Country of Origin: UNIBE says that they won't accept any copies of any documents and that no document will be returned to you at any time but, in this case i'm pretty sure you won't send your actual passport to them so don't. You already know what i'm going to say about the Apostille so re-read number 4. Also, in my experience, my photocopy of my passport was sent back to me from the Apostille because I had to write "I, ___(my name)___, certify that this is a real copy of my passport." Signed by me. Make sure you write this on the bottom of each document before you send them to the Apostille. Then, have this stamped by a Notary Public.
6) Police Certificate, recently issued by Federal Authorities: I followed the link they had (which is this one CLICK HERE) and looked under "How to Request a Copy of Your Record", following Option 1's procedure. As for obtaining my fingerprints, I had to print the "standard fingerprint form (FD-258)" CLICK HERE (could be on copy paper) and bring it to my police station because mine did not offer fingerprint forms. My friend who is also coming to the Dominican Republic to study for a semester in another school had to get a police certificate but he said he just went to his police station and that was enough. I suggest sticking to what UNIBE says because if they say something is wrong you can say you did what was on the website. After I sent everything in, it took about 3 months to get it so make sure you have enough time before officially applying to receive your police certificate.
7) UNIBE Health Certificate (printable version available on our website): CLICK HERE It's pretty much a physical form that your doctor will fill out.
8) Hepatitis B Vaccine Record - 3 Doses: When you get your physical done, ask your doctor for this record. He/She can give you a copy of it. Highlight the dates.
9) Two (2) Official transcripts one (1) notarized by the Department of State/APOSTILLE; one (1) mailed directly by each College and/or University attended to out Mailing Address: This only applies to transfer students who have attended college before applying to UNIBE. *Note: You have the option of applying as a new student meaning that you would be starting all over again and can skip this step. Some people have told me that even if you had credits in college they couldn't transfer them to UNIBE so it was a waste of time. Nonetheless, you can still attempt. All you have to do is contact your school's registrar and ask for 3 OFFICIAL college transcripts. "OFFICIAL" meaning that it is signed by the registrar and everything. UNIBE will not accept copies or unofficial documents. In my college you don't have to pay for transcripts. Also note that your college will ask you why do you need official transcripts and why do you need 3 of them. First, you need them to be official because like I said before, no copies will be accepted. And secondly, you need 3 because one will be mailed to UNIBE (the address you will mail it to is Universidad Iberoamericana, UNIBE P.O. Box 770310 Orlando, Florida 32877), the 2nd one will be sent to the apostille, and the 3rd one is just in case the 2nd one gets lost. Again, when you send the transcript to the apostille you must write, "I ___your name___, certify that this is a true copy of my college transcript."and your signature. Don't forget! Have two stamped by a Notary Public before sending them to the Apostille. (Please look at number 7 on the Notes section below for Ministry of Education information: Very Important!)
10) Two (2) High School Transcripts: Again, they both must be official. Your high school will give you an official copy in a sealed envelope and tell you not to open it but, you must open it to write "I ___your name___, certify that this is a true copy of my high school transcript." and your signature. This copy will be sent to the apostille. The second one will be sent from your high school to UNIBE to the same address as above. Have it stamped by a Notary Public before sending it to the Apostille. (Please look at number 6 on the Notes section below for Ministry of Education information: Very Important!)
11) One (1) Official 8th Grade School Transcript: When I went to my middle school to pick this up, they said that they had sent all of my grades to my high school. It might be different for you but call and  double check just in case. This must also be official and sent to the apostille. Don't forget the magical phrase on the bottom! Have it stamped by a Notary Public before sending to the Apostille.
12) Photocopy of High School Diploma: I photocopied my high school diploma and once again put the phrase at the bottom. Then, I sent it to the apostille.

13) Personal Essay (Why do I want to become a Medical Doctor?): There is no page or word limit on this essay just make sure you are compelling and demonstrate your passion and future dreams. Most importantly, be honest. They can tell when you're B-S-ing.
14) Three (3) Letters of Recommendation printed on official letterhead and mailed directly by recommenders to our Mailing address (from 2 professors and 1 professional in the Medical Field): This is self explanatory. I asked my Biology and Italian professors from college and my pediatrician for these letters.
17) Official SAT Scores and ACT Scores: You can find these on the SAT and ACT websites. I never took the ACT but the SAT costs US$10 to send it to UNIBE. By the way, UNIBE's federal code is 5952.
19) US$150.00 non-refundable Application Fee - Money Order: If you have a bank account, you can just ask for a money order of this amount and they will charge you a small fee. No big deal.

Notes:
1) All documents must be original with translation into Spanish: You can't even get around this. Every document minus the forms they have available on their website have to be translated. Go to a translator and they will translate and sign on the bottom. Also, all the translations must be stamped by a Notary Public.
5) It should be understood that all original documents submitted become University property and will not be returned to student... : As mentioned before these documents will not be returned to you. Make sure you make 2 sets of copies of all your documents before you send them to UNIBE.
6) In case you completed high school in a country other than the Dominican Republic, you must notarize your high school transcript with the Apostille from the Department of States in your country and the Ministry of Education in the Dominican Republic.: This is extremely important. Go to the Ministry of Education and talk to the Receptionist. Note: You can't walk in with cut off shirts on the shoulders or open toed shoes. This is a government place. You must also be ready with loads of original and copies of all the documents you have. I had to do this and have everything from my birth certificate to copies of my official high school transcript with me. There were so many papers that I forgot which ones I needed. Not to mention my transcript had to come from the Apostille too. You might want to send more than 1 official high school transcript to the Apostille. I also included translations so that they can understand it. Just so you know, almost if not all government offices are open from Monday to Friday only and close at 4 p.m. Also, once you give in all the papers and you're good to go, the Ministry will give you a note saying that your high school transcript is in the process of validation. You can still apply to UNIBE. Make a copy of this note and give UNIBE the original. The Ministry will make you wait 20 days for it to be validated. Then, you go back and pick up your high school transcript in the "Centro Educativo", which is another department in the Ministry of Education. Call to make sure it is ready so you don't waste your time. Once you have the document, give it to UNIBE immediately.
7) Students seeking admission must notarize their university and/or college transcript with the Apostille from their Department of States and submit them to the Ministry of Higher Education in the Dominican Republic.: This is also extremely important for transfer students. I didn't do this but just know that the Ministry of Education is different from the Ministry of Higher Education. The Ministry of Higher Education is actually called "El Ministerio de Educacion de Ciencia y Tecnologia" "MESCYT". It is not found in the Ministry of Education where you will take your high school transcript. They are very close to each other though. I believe a street away.

MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING ONCE, TWICE, THREE TIMES! I'M SURE THAT IN ONE INSTANCE YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IT. ALSO, PUT A TRACKING NUMBER ON EVERYTHING YOU SEND, INCLUDING THE REQUIREMENTS SENT TO UNIBE & THE APOSTILLE. 

ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT ME 
@     mydominicanjourney@gmail.com
or comment below :D
I'm here to help!

57 comments:

  1. Michelle, thanks for such thorough information. I am in the process of applying now and find this very useful. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does it take to get an admissions decision?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It varies. For me it took a little more than a month but others got it in three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a telephone number where I ca reach someone, in regards to being a student there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bahamian_Gal : You can contact UNIBE -> 809-689-4111
    Contact Admissions at ext. 4016, they are open from Monday to Friday from 8 to 6 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To whom can answer these questions more specifically, I have a few questions... I live in Miami, FL.
    1. Let me understand clearly, does the passport need to be translated? I assume it does not???

    2. Please include to whom is the money made payable to.

    3. I have the Apostille of my transcripts... I don't live in Santo Domingo. Are you telling me I have to fly out to DR to get these papers turned into the Ministry of Higher education???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I understand you commented that all translations need to be notarized and signed, however nowhere does it indicate this??? The reason I'm asking is because I translated my own documents using google translator. In addition, I also speak Spanish and confirmed the translation is proper. Just wanted to point this out to future students because translating documents in some states or online is very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @anonymous @2:22 a.m. - 1 - I don't believe your passport has to be translated. 2 - I don't remember who you have to make the check out to 3 - I'm not sure either
    I'm sorry I can't answer those questions but I would call UNIBE @ (809) 689-4111. I don't want to mislead you guys and I want you guys to understand that I wrote this about a year ago so some things might have changed.

    @anonymous @3:57 a.m. - Last year when I called they told me it had to be translated and signed, and I don't want to offend anyone but I think they would like a professional to sign it because anyone can just write a simple translation and end up writing something else, if you know what I mean. I am aware how expensive it is so what I did was this, I translated my transcripts and then sent it to a translator/notarizer who fixed a few things. He only charged me half, since I did all the work. Again, I would recommend calling UNIBE as I wrote this post about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Michell, this helped a great deal! One last question... How many semesters are there in a year at UNIBE? In other words how many months is a semester, just to get an idea.

    Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write all this, it helps a great deal, you wouldn't believe how so. I just found out the check is payable to Universida Iberoamericana. Again, I don't believe you answered one other question I asked. Do we have to take the college and high school transcripts to the ministry of education after Apostille? or do we send this to UNIBE and they do it??? I believe after reading, you wrote that we have to physically go to the ministry of education ourselves. So does this mean we have to fly out, to do this??? Can it be mailed, or do you recommend physically delivering the documents???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle, just found out there are three semesters in a year. Still confused about the ministry of education stuff.

    Thank you so much Michelle, especially for this website.

    By the way for anyone that may not be able to find their shot records for Hepatitis B. There is a blood test you can take to see if you have the antibodies for it. If you test positive, this indicates you have be given all the shots for Hepatitis B. This should satisfy the shot record requirements, should you be missing them in your records. If you test negative you can always ask your doctor to administer the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous 5:32 p.m. - I had to go and take my records to the ministry of education myself. When you leave them there, they give you a paper saying that it's in the process of being evaluated and what not. That slip, you have to make a copy and give it to UNIBE, so that they know that it's in the process. Later, before the end of the semester, UNIBE will remind you that you have to go and pick up the records from the ministry. I'm in the spanish program so I don't know if in the English program they do it and you guys don't have to worry about that. Also I was already here at the later stages of my admission process so it wasn't an inconvenience for me. Sorry guys :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey guys just a few questions:

    1- what exactly are the prerequisites for UNIBE? I dont see anywhere on the website what classes you need to have for acceptance to the University

    2-Most American Medical schools you need to take the MCAT 11 months ahead of time before the enrollment date. Is this the same for UNIBE? Like can I take the MCAT in January for example and still send my scores in for the June 15th deadline?


    Questions that need answers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Mitchell, I just found out that for the English Program. The docs do not need to be translated. As for the Hep B test I was correct; a blood test is just as good. Everything else is as you stated regarding the Apostille.

    @ Mitchell, One last question... I noticed the tuition is $6,500. Is that every semester? Just wondering? Well Technically $7,600.00 every semester after the first. Is this correct for 2013? Is it 2 semesters each academic year?

    @Anonymous Your best bet is to take the pre-med at UNIBE, this way you don't need to take the MCAT. Unless your looking to transfer your pre-med to UNIBE, which I wouldn't recommend, cause then you would need your MCAT scores and you would also need to see if your Pre-med courses transfer over (You can check with UNIBE). In case you have a Bachelor's in Science, you would still have to take the MCAT. Best option is to take their Pre-med, it avoids all the hassles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Mitchell, The only thing they asked me to translate was the college transcripts. If I were born in the states, they would have asked for my birth certificate translated. .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey guys sorry it took me a long time to reply, pretty busy with exams. I'm writing as anonymous today so I could reply fast. First, just so you guys know tuition goes up 10% every year, this goes for the Spanish and English program. And, it's three semesters a year with an estimated two weeks vacation between every semester.
    As for the prerequisites, I just went on the website and didn't see them. Maybe Unibe is still in the process of changing their website. And yes starting Unibe at the pre-med stage gives you less hassles but remember, that's a whole other year and a semester in pre-med.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Michelle.
    Can you tell me more about the English medical program. I have completed 3 years at another Caribbean med school and ran out of financial aid about 5 years ago. Can clinically be done in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello caribchic, sorry I've been really busy!! Yes, you can do clinical rotations in the US
      Ask away!

      Delete
  17. Did you have to take the admissions exam?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Michelle,
    I know you're a transfer student, but would you recommend for a high school student to go to UNIBE directly after high school? How are the classes so far? Is it difficult to get accepted by UNIBE? Does the tuition go up 10% for Dominican students as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's up to you. If you major in a science you can maybe get bumped up to the 5th semester (which is med school). If you come straight from high school, you'll start at semester 1. Semester 1-4 is the basic cycle, like math and biology (university requirements). Semesters 5-10 are the basic science semesters. Semesters 11-13 are pre-interning and 14-16 are intern. Classes are going well. 5th semester is pretty rough though, Anatomy and Embrio are 12 credits so you already know. I'm definitely learning a lot. Tuition goes up for everyone, annually 10%. Good luck!

      Delete
  19. Wow, thank you for replying so fast. Also, should I get the translated documents apostilled as well as notarized, or just notarized?

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello,

    can anyone get into pre-med? or you do need an average g.p.a (at least from high school or college)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does the photocopy of the passport have to be translated?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Anonymous
    You need a 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 - 80%

    Koraima: I don't think you're passport has to be translated

    ReplyDelete
  23. HELLO EVERY ONE
    IM TRYING TO GET INTO PRE-MED PROGRAM WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?
    I ATTENDED COLLAGE IN LOS ANGELES FOR COUPLE OF SEMESTERS BUT THE COURSES I TOOK WAS NOT IN THIS FIELD AND I DIDENT EARN ANY DEGREE COULD I STILL DO IT?
    AND FOR THE PRE-MED YOU ACCEPTANCE IS GARANTEED?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Seyed. Everything is going to be okay lol

      1) You can still apply to the program and get accepted even if you didn't earn a degree. Just send UNIBE your transcripts.
      2) Acceptance is never guaranteed in pre-med or in med. You just have to show that you're a great person with your grades and volunteer work and you will be fine.

      On this website you will find the admission procedure, forms, and requirements. Hope it helps. Good luck!

      Delete
  24. i would appreciate a fast response i really wanna do this but I'm kind of up in the air thanks guys

    ReplyDelete
  25. How long did it take for you to hear back from Unibe after submitting your application?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly I think about a month. Good luck!

      Delete
  26. hi, pretty helpful infos here.. needed these details.
    - they start classes on September if i am not mistaken, so when do they start accepting application papers and when is the deadline?
    - do you have regular Saturday classes? is it possible to make your schedule, in a way that you won't have Saturday classes?
    - how much is the student visa? how often it is needed to be renewed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) You have to look it up on the website, the deadline changes. If you can't find it online call them :)
      2) My first few semesters I had Saturday classes but because I chose classes that were on Saturdays, like Portuguese. When you get accepted you don't get to make your schedule but, you next semester you get to choose
      3) I'm not sure how much the student visa is but I think it needs to be renewed every year. Not sure though. You can definitely ask them

      Delete
  27. Hey! I just got an interview, please help me!!! What kind of stuff did they ask you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check this blog post. hope it helps http://mydominicanjourney.blogspot.com/2013/09/interview-questions.html

      Delete
  28. Hey Michelle how are you I am interested in applying for UNIBE and would like to ask you some questions.

    1) I completed my bachelors with a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology and graduated with a 2.93. I also have a Masters of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology where I completed with a 3.21. Do you think they would consider my Masters for admissions?

    2) Also I see that they now require a MCAT results. Would you happen to know what the minimum or average score for that is?

    3) Also since i have not taken those premed courses would you recommend that I start with those?

    4) Do you know of any other MD programs in DR with English programs?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jonathan!
      1) I think they would definitely consider your Masters for admissions. Most incoming students haven't even gone to college, and if they did, they only completed their Bachelor's degree. So, I think you're good.

      2) I don't know what the minimum or average is. You should call just in case.

      3) If you haven't taken pre-med courses yet, you have to. There's no option. Some people have to go through two semesters depending on what courses you need to take, then you go to Basic Sciences (which is med school territory). If you do end up having to take those courses, I recommend you take advantage of that and take the Intro to Anatomy course. Many students who go straight to med school may have not even taken Anatomy in college and end up not doing well because they don't have a strong base.

      4) I only know of one right now and it's called O&M Med School. It's really cool and high tech but costs more than UNIBE and it's fairly new. I'm not sure how well renowned they are, etc.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  29. Do you use federal loans? are the loan limits increased for med students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't and haven't had to since I got here. I would recommend calling your loan company and asking. Good luck let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  30. Do you know of anyone in the spanish program who uses federal loans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't met anyone yet. It's not common for students in the Spanish program to take federal loans.

      Delete
  31. Hi, Michelle. I just to say thank you for helping us future doctors and prospective students! I have a few questions if you don't mind.

    1.)When you say if we attended high school outside Dominican Republic, i attended in the United States, i would have to fly down there and get it validated and then submit that to UNIBE? Let's say when i apply, but the validation is complete after the deadline of October 15, would that cause any issues?
    2.) Also can i apply for January Admissions and if i get accepted can i defer my seat for September?
    3.) I have completed a 72 Credit Pre-Med program at a Caribbean University in Biology, Chemistry & Physics, each subject worth 12 credits with two units, Bio I & Bio II, Chem I & Chem II etc...With a 2.5 GPA. I also have a 3.11 GPA at my college in the States with 33 credits completed towards a nursing degree, but i want to transition into medicine. Do you think i can start 5th semester (Med)? Is there anywhere specific to get these evaluated? or does the University do their own evaluation?
    4.) The Admissions exam? What exactly is it? Like an MCAT? Bio, Chem, Phys subjects? or just like English proficiency?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Yea, I also attended high school in the U.S. and yes, you have to go to the Ministry of Education here (it's really close to UNIBE) and get it validated and then submit it to UNIBE. It wouldn't cause any issues. I got a paper from the Ministry saying that my papers were being processed and they said I could give that to UNIBE and that would be like my excuse. But if you don't turn it in and you start school, probably by the second month of the semester UNIBE will hunt you down lol

      2) I'm not sure about that, I think they have all that organized. But you can ask.

      3) I definitely think you can but, their kind of weird sometimes. Every person has a different situation and you might need to take requisite classes that you might be missing for pre-med according to UNIBE Med School rules and then go to the 5th semester. Well you need to get everything validated anyway and then give it to UNIBE. If you only did high school, you go to the Ministry of Educaiton and if you want to transfer college credits, you go to the Ministry of Education of Science and Technology. (I think it's like that) (They usually say the MESCYT)

      4) lol It's an admisisons exam but definitely not like MCAT, at least for me it wasn't. If felt like a mini SAT. You're given a reading writing and math if I remember correctly. English students have and extra exam to see where you're Spanish level is at and Spanish students have an extra exam for English proficiency.

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. What UNIBE mean by semester?

      Delete
    3. A semester is 4 months long. Does that answer your question?

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  32. hi Michelle, once an application is completedand approved, do they call for interview ? if so where did you go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ket so sorry for responding so late!!! :( I believe they have this new method of interviewing you through skype. If not, I think before you had to go to either their Florida office or come to the DR.

      Delete
  33. Hey guys it's me Ket. I am happy to say thay I am in DR and I am on my 2nd week of class. I don't speak spanish yet but I am getting there (with lots of work of course. ..). Once again thx for your help Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey I want some help for admission as a Dominican student.
    I should tell you my story and all my worries slowly.
    I am a little mortified because I want to start in January 2016 but I just started my paper work. I feel like there's not enough time. I graduated high school 3 years ago and I really don't want to waste more time as I will be starting from pre med. I got my HS transcripts. I know I have to apostille it but do I have to apostille the translation as well? Do I have to send one through mail or is that just for School of Medicine? Also, do I have to translate my letters of recommendation? If so, can I do it in Dominican Republic? I also don't have a "sello" on them and I wonder if this will present a problem.

    I was a very lazy HS student and just started worrying about my education on senior year which caused me to graduate with a GPA of 3.0002. I am not proud of it and I really wish I could use my 3.8 GPA from college to apply instead. but, sadly, I can't because I won't be transferring anything. Do you think I have less of a chance to get in because of my barely acceptable GPA?

    Sorry for all the questions. I am probably just drowning in a glass of water but something tells me I am not. There's only 4 months left and I'm sure I am required to have everything ready by way before then. I know i should just call and I will, but any information will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yadi! I hope all is well! I'm so sorry for my late response. If you still need help email me!
      @ mydominicanjourney@gmail.com

      Delete
  35. Hello, I was wondering what is the minimum high school gpa requirement for unibe ?

    ReplyDelete
  36. 3.0 GPA miniumum
    480 Minimum MCAT score

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete